Gnomes are distant relatives of the fey, and their history tells of a time when they lived in the fey’s mysterious realm, a place where colors are brighter, the wildlands wilder, and emotions more primal. Unknown forces drove the ancient gnomes from that realm long ago, forcing them to seek refuge in this world; despite this, the gnomes have never completely abandoned their fey roots or adapted to mortal culture. Though gnomes are no longer truly fey, their fey heritage can be seen in their innate magic powers, their oft-capricious natures, and their outlooks on life and the world.
Gnomes can have the same concerns and motivations as members of other races, but just as often they are driven by passions and desires that non-gnomes see as eccentric at best, and nonsensical at worst. A gnome may risk his life to taste the food at a giant’s table, to reach the bottom of a pit just because it would be the lowest place he’s ever been, or to tell jokes to a dragon—and to the gnome those goals are as worthy as researching a new spell, gaining vast wealth, or putting down a powerful evil force.
While such apparently fickle and impulsive acts are not universal among gnomes, they are common enough for the race as a whole to have earned a reputation for being impetuous and at least a little mad.
Playing a Gnome
If you choose to play a Gnome modify your character as follows:
- Add 1 to your Cunning ability. Gnomes posses a unique knack for “hands-on learning” through tinkering.
- Pick one of the following ability focuses: Dexterity (Crafting) or Perception (Searching).
- Illusion Resistance: You gain a +2 bonus on ability tests to resist the effects of Illusion spells and other phantasmal attacks.
- You can speak and read Gnomish and Common.
- Choose a Class: Rogue.
- Roll twice on the Gnome Racial Table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the dice together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.
Gnome Racial Table
|3-4||Focus: Communication (Bargaining)|
|5||Focus: Cunning (Evaluation)|
|6||Focus: Cunning (Engineering)|
|9||Focus: Dexterity (Grenades)|
|10-11||Focus: Perception (Seeing)|
|2d6 Roll||Hair Color||Eye Color|
|2||Ash Blonde||Pale Grey|
|7-8||Light Brown||Light Brown|
|10-11||Blue Black||Dark Brown|
|Gender||Height Base||Modifier||Weight Base||Modifier|
|Male||3’6"||+2d4"||50 lbs.||+2d4×7 lbs.|
|Female||3’5"||+2d4"||45 lbs.||+2d4×7 lbs.|