The long-lived elves are children of the natural world, similar in many superficial ways to fey creatures, though with key differences. While fey are truly linked to the flora and fauna of their homes, existing as the nearly immortal voices and guardians of the wilderness, elves are instead mortals who are in tune with the natural world around them. Elves seek to live in balance with the wild and understand it better than most other mortals. Some of this understanding is mystical, but an equal part comes from the elves’ long lifespans, which in turn gives them long-ranging outlooks.
Elves can expect to remain active in the same locale for centuries. By necessity, they must learn to maintain sustainable lifestyles, and this is most easily done when they work with nature, rather than attempting to bend it to their will. However, their links to nature are not entirely driven by pragmatism. Elves’ bodies slowly change over time, taking on a physical representation of their mental and spiritual states, and those who dwell in a region for a long period of time find themselves physically adapting to match their surroundings, most noticeably taking on coloration that reflects the local environment.
Playing an Elf
If you choose to play an Elf modify your character as follows:
- Add 1 to your Dexterity ability. Elves posess an other-worldly agility and grace.
- Pick one of the following ability focuses: Dexterity (Stealth) or Perception (Seeing).
- Charm Resistant: You gain a +2 bonus on ability tests to resist the effects of charm spells and magical sleep attacks.
- You can speak and read Elven and Common.
- Choose a Class: Rogue or Warrior.
- Roll twice on the Elf Racial Table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the dice together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.
Elf Racial Table
|3-4||Focus: Perception (Searching)|
|5||Focus: Cunning (Evaluation)|
|6||Focus: Dexterity (Initiative)|
|9||Weapon Group: Light Blades|
|10-11||Weapon Group: Bows|
|2d6 Roll||Hair Color||Eye Color|
|7-8||Light Brown||Light Brown|
|Gender||Height Base||Modifier||Weight Base||Modifier|
|Male||5’4"||+2d8"||110 lbs.||+2d8×5 lbs.|
|Female||5’4"||+2d6"||90 lbs.||+2d6×5 lbs.|